30-Day Writing Challenge
Day 10 – Five not so basic things about you
I have no idea how to answer this. “Not-so-basic” as in complex? Five complex things about me? Okay.
1) I have dyscalculia. It’s similar to dyslexia, but focuses on numbers rather than letters. When given a string of numbers like a credit card number or phone number, I will sometimes transpose two digits. It usually only happens if I’m reading a number and writing it down at the same time.
2) I wasn’t diagnosed with dyscalculia, or any other learning disability, as a child. It wasn’t until I was in college that I knew there were names to the problems I have. I spent my entire childhood labeled “bright but lazy.”
3) I have to have some type of music playing while I write. If I don’t have it for some reason, I can’t concentrate. The song or type of music that I listen to does affect my work.
4) Clipping my own fingernails and toenails grosses me out, but I have no problem clipping my daughter’s. Listening to other people clip their nails or use a nail file makes me want to vomit.
5) I am very self-conscious about my handwriting. I was teased mercilessly for it as a child (by my teachers, no less), and have been deeply ashamed of it every since. I work on it every day.